Delicious Irish Scones
225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour Pinch Salt
25g/1oz Caster Sugar (optional)
150ml/¼ pint Milk (approx)
For glaze Beaten egg or milk
1. Preheat oven to 210°C/425°F/Gas 7.
2. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with flour.
3. Sieve flour and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar, if used.
4. Rub in margarine.
5. Add sufficient milk to make soft dough.
6. Turn onto a floured board and knead to remove any cracks.
7. Roll out lightly to 1”/3cm in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter dipped in flour.
8. Place on the preheated baking tray, glaze if liked.
9. Bake in oven for 10 -15 mins. approx. or until risen and golden brown.
10. Cool on a wire tray
To Make Fruit Scones: 50g/2oz of sultanas, cherries or raisins may be added to the dry ingredients before adding the liquid. To make wholemeal (brown) scones: Use 125g/4oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal and 125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour following the same method as above.
Above quantities may be doubled if you wish
Enjoy from Brian & Marie @ Rathcroghan Cafe